A few days ago I talked about using the Mr. Beer kit. I should have mentioned that you can use the Mr. Beer fermenter to make your own beer recipe, without using one of their kits. You simply make a 2 gallon batch of beer and use the Mr. Beer keg for fermenting it. This is a safe way to move into “legitimate” beer brewing, with much less expense. I have a recipe for a very basic Hefeweizen that I love to make, and I have scaled it to a 2 gallon recipe. Enjoy!
2 Gallon Hefeweizen
- 2.2 pounds Dry Wheat Extract (Here)
- 1/2 ounce German Hallertau Whole Hops (Here)
- WLP300 Hefeweizen Yeast (Here)
- Boil 1/4 c. of Dry Extract in 2 gallons of water with all of the hops for 45 min.
- After 45 minutes, add the rest of the malt extract and boil for the remaining 15 minutes
- Remove from the heat and cool
- Add to the fermenter, top up to 2 gallons in the fermenter with spring water
- Pour in Yeast vial, and seal up the fermenter